Monday, July 17, 2006

Hi, My Name Is MUD

I have a confession to make: during the wedding planning last year, I became addicted to some national message boards dealing with weddings and married life. I don't follow them as much as I used to, but I still check them from time to time when I get bored. I guess they're the Internet equivalent of soap operas due to the problems people post about. Sometimes some of it seems to be true, but sometimes it's Made-Up Drama, or MUD. If you step back from the boards with a detached attitude, it can be amusing to follow the posts. I have to wonder sometimes about the people behind the posts, though. Are they so bored that they have to make up drama? Do they do it for the attention? Or are they just trying to stir things up, especially when they make up stories about things that really do affect other people (such as suicide, for instance). Whatever their motives are, these people--and Internet forums in general--could inspire characters for stories, though I haven't created any yet. If I do, I'll have to make sure I don't copy any particular poster too closely.

Writing: I'm currently working on Jo's last chapter. Right now, I'm making changes based on my own instincts. When I finish Part One, I'll have to dig up the reviews I got on Lennon's Line and see what I missed. I should probably post the third draft on OWW, but I don't want to--I'm getting to the point where I just want to get this story done and focus on something else. Maybe I could even try to work on something that doesn't involve Paul Harrison. There's a drama king for you! ;)

No comments:

Site Meter