Thursday, February 02, 2006

Crocheting

Before I get to the main point of this post, I suppose I should provide a quick summary of the last couple of days, as I didn't blog then. Work is going well. Writing is a bit slow, as I had writer's block yesterday on two of my novels. I did manage to break through with one of them, and I got some ideas for the other one as I was driving home from work. Hopefully tonight will be more productive. Also, today I found out about an alternate history story about John Lennon through the OWW mailing list. In the story, Lennon leaves the Beatles in 1962 to move to Texas and work with a fiddler named Bob Willis. Here's the URL:

http://literary.erictmarin.com/faded.htm

So, there's precedent for what I do in Lennon's Line, which I hope means a publisher will be willing to take it.

Anyway, I wanted to tell everyone about my latest project (yeah, like I need another one). I decided I want to crochet an afghan. I have a lower tolerance for cold than Eugene does, so I like to have the heat on full blast while he turns it down sooner than I would. In order to achieve a happy compromise, I plan to have a blanket in the car that I can use when he's driving and I'm in the passenger seat.

I started crocheting in my twenties. I got the urge from my mom, who's made a couple of blankets and other things herself. She couldn't figure out how to teach me because I'm left-handed. Finally, I got a book and figured out how to crochet right-handed. (It's easier than trying to flip all the directions over for a left-hander.) I've made several things, including sweaters, slippers, stuffed animals, baby items (for gifts!), and even the ring bearer's pillow for the wedding. (See picture. I made the inside pillow too. I dried all of the roses Eugene's given me over the years, and the pillow is stuffed with them.) This is my first time making an afghan, though. I bought a new book and found a couple of different patterns that I like. They're supposed to take only 48 hours to make, but I wonder how long it will take me to find those 48 hours to crochet in the first place. I used to crochet as I watched TV or movies, but I seldom have time for those these days. Hopefully I'll have the blanket done before too many winters pass. ;)

4 comments:

Russ said...

I had no idea - you're quite good, Sandra!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Funny, I could have sworn I commented earlier and said thanks. I don't see it now. But thanks for the compliment, Russ!

Anonymous said...

Sandra, wow you are very talented. I've always admired creative people and I admire this talent you have. The pillow is gorgeous! I hope you post a pic of the afghan, I'd love to see that too. Do you knit, etc... too?

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

No, I don't know how to knit, but if my local message board does get a knitting/crocheting group together, I may learn. And yes, when I finish the afghan, I'll post a picture of it.

Site Meter