Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Reading Report for 2014

I may wind up finishing one more book before the year is over, but I figure I can go ahead with my year-end reading report anyway.

My Goodreads challenge for this year was 200 books, same as last year. This year I read only 209 books instead of the 230 I managed in 2013. Yeah, I know, I'm slacking off. Some of my reading time went into writing or playing on my phone, and two of those books were three-in-one omnibus editions. You can find my complete list of books here. Below is the breakdown by genre:

Fantasy: 96
Science Fiction: 30
Non-Fiction: 55
Other: 28

There's a very slight increase in fantasy over last year, a bigger increase in other (due to a mystery series I read for research), and decreases in science fiction and non-fiction.

I actually read 40 books in paper format this year. Most of these were library books. I have borrowed eBooks from the library before, but it's more complicated than simply buying the books myself.

Here are a few recommended reads:

William Shakespeare's Star Wars Trilogy
The 7 Secrets of the Prolific
Mindtouch, Mindline, and Family
The Future of the Mind
Quantum Zoo
Wonders of the Invisible World
Ghost Hand, Ghost Hold, and Ghost Heart
Meatonomics
Sky Dance
Lies My Teacher Told Me

(I'm going to skip hyperlinking since it's late, but you can find all of these books on my Goodreads list.)

Kindle software updates have made it more difficult to put my books and samples in collections, so I don't know how many Kindle items I have to read (or at least look at before rejecting them). However, my Kindle now holds over 1600 items. I'd say over half of those I still have to read. At some point I will need to upgrade to the latest generation Kindle, since it has a bigger capacity than the Paperwhite. As for my paper to-read collection, this is what it looks like:






That's 42 books, in case you were wondering. Hum, 42 is the answer, so what's the question? I guess I need to keep reading to find out.

What was your reading like this year?

Edited to Add: I did finish my current book, bringing my total to 210 books for the year and 97 fantasy.

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I am in awe...
And no idea how many books are on my iPad.
Happy New Year, Sandra!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Thanks, Alex. Happy New Year to you too!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

Keep reading. We need readers.

Happy new year!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Thanks, Mac! Happy New Year to you too!

Site Meter