Friday, March 29, 2013

Science of the Week, 3/29/13

Here are some of the most interesting science articles I read this week:

New insights into how genes turn on and off

What attracts people to violent movies?

Scientists find brain's "molecular memory switch"

Revolutionary laser system could produce the next LHC

Declaring a truce with our microbiological friemenies

Engineers develop nanofoams for better body armor

Swarming robots could be the servant of the future

Where'd you go? "Metascreen" forms ultra-thin invisibility cloak

Researchers build functional ovarian tissue in lab

Virtual games help the blind navigate unknown territory

Making fuel from air pollution

Trees used to create recyclable, efficient solar cell

NASA membrane can split water from waste

Measuring the magnetism of antimatter

Making the blood of old people young again


There are times when I feel I ought to limit the number of links I post to ten or so, but then I come across a treasure trove of articles that I can't pass up. That said, are there branches of science you want me to focus on, like medicine or space? I do try to pick articles that might be useful for SF worldbuilding.

Happy Easter to all of those who celebrate the holiday! Enjoy your weekend, and I'll see you Monday.



















2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Invisibility cloak? Harry Potter fans will be all over that one.
Have a wonderful Easter, Sandra!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Not to mention Star Trek fans, Alex. Happy Easter to you too!

Site Meter