Wednesday, September 19, 2012

How Proactive Are Your Villians?

One of the things I've learned from this current round of revising Twinned Universes is to make the most of my antagonists. In previous drafts, they've been like spiders waiting for my protagonist to wander into their webs. Now I've made them more active in pursuing their goals, and I've given them more POV time as well. Unfortunately, I can't go into detail without giving away spoilers.

As readers, do you prefer to stick with the main character's POV, or do you enjoy getting other points of view too? Does it matter which side the character is on?

3 comments:

mooderino said...

The spider analogy is a good one, I see that a lot. Good that you've spotted it early.

mood
Moody Writing

PT Dilloway said...

I originally had some scenes from the bad guy's point of view but in editing I cut those out and so now almost all of it focuses on the main character or her best friend. But sometimes you do need to focus on the bad guy. It really just depends on the plot.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I'm glad you like the analogy, mood!

PT, yeah, you might not always need scenes from the bad guy's POV. They could still be pursuing their agendas in the background, however.

Site Meter