Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Ah, That's Better....

It's been a headless chicken type of week at work, and I'm sure it's going to continue at least through Friday. So it would be a good night to veg in front of the TV or play video games, and I did do the latter. But I finally got my butt in gear and did some editing on Lennon's Line. It's still a very light edit, mostly reformatting and trimming text. I'm glad to say the novel is now under 148,000 words. Given that Day of All Seasons, even after I tried to shorten it, is over 170,000 words, it feels like an accomplishment to shorten a novel to "publishable" length. (New authors are sometimes advised to keep their novels short. This keeps costs down for the publishers, who may then be more inclined to take a chance on a new author. I don't know how true this is, though.) Of course, cutting length is only good if it improves the story, but I do feel that I'm improving the pacing by cutting some paragraphs and other bits. I still need to review my crits from the OWW and incorporate those changes, but I have to admit that takes more gumption than I have at the moment. I think after I finish this pass through LL, I'll have to put it away for a while before I'm ready to edit it again. Hopefully that will be the last edit before I send it out.

No comments:

Site Meter