Wednesday, April 06, 2022

April IWSG: Audio Books

Welcome to April! If you're participating in the A-Z Blogging Challenge, I hope it's going well. These days, I'm challenged enough to keep up with a weekly blog, but I still have time for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Learn more about the IWSG on their website, Facebook page, and Twitter feed.  

Our hosts this month are Joylene Nowell Butler, Jemima Pett, Patricia Josephine, Louise-Fundy Blue, and Kim Lajevardi.

 Here's our question for April: Have any of your books been made into audio books? If so, what is the main challenge in producing an audiobook?

My science fiction books Lyon's Legacy and Twinned Universes are available as audiobooks. I produced them myself through ACX, which is no longer available. It's been several years since I made them, but I remember the main challenges (besides paying for them) were finding a suitable narrator (especially on a budget) and reviewing the audiobooks. I haven't sold many audiobooks, so I probably wouldn't bother doing it with my other books unless they become popular enough to justify the expense. If you're an indie author who wants to make audiobooks, Draft2Digital partners with Findaway Voices to create them. I would take that route if I decide to produce more books in that format. 

Have you created audiobooks of your work? If so, feel free to share the details in the comments.

 

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My publisher made audio books for my novels and they actually sell well. Well enough for me anyway!

Unknown said...

I think ACX is now a brand of Amazon, so they still exist, but not as a standalone. I'm getting ACX tutorials in my emails, anyway!

Glad you made it to the IWSG post, blogging takes a lot of time away from writing - and other things :)

Jemima

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Why do you say ACX is no longer available? We still use them.

stone decor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Site Meter