Wednesday, December 01, 2021

IWSG: Pleasures and Pains of Writing


Here we are at the start of another Christmas season. (Yes, I insist on waiting until after Thanksgiving.) It's also time for another Insecure Writer's Support Group post. Learn more about the IWSG on their website, Facebook page, or Twitter feed.

Our hosts this month are PJ Colando, Diane Burton, Louise-Fundy Blue, Natalie Aguirre, and Jacqui Murray.

Our question for December is a simple one: In your writing, what stresses you the most? What delights you?

There are many stressful things about the business of writing, but for this post, I'll focus on craft. A few things I find stressful are writing under a deadline, being unsure what happens next in the story, and having to make major revisions. As for what delights me, it's seeing the story come together and finishing it.

What do you find pleasurable and/or painful about writing? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.


5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Those things don't stress me, but just having to get the first draft down does.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Everything I do is under a deadline, but half it is what my authors face.

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Sandra! I read your "Lyon's Legacy" for the book club in November, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! The premise behind the story was mind bending, and the ending was great. I'll think about the story for a long time. I really do wonder about alternate universes. The concept comforts me because I hope somewhere an alternate Louise made some better choices ~ LOL! I think traveling through a wormhole would be incredible! Happy writing in December!

James Pailly said...

Deadlines stress me out too. And when I'm stressed, it's harder to write. And when I'm having a hard time writing, that makes the deadline even more stressful. It's a vicious cycle.

newsstand pilgrim said...

I'm more productive with a deadline. And I'm about to do a major revision, which is causing me stress. Hoping I can get on a roll with it and end up enjoying the work, which is what usually happens.

Enjoy your holidays!

Julia Quay

Site Meter