Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Virtual Conventions

If you're missing your favorite convention, there are online ones to compensate. Here are a few that I know of:

Quarencon2020: This is a new convention that's supposed to run from April 24th-April 28th. There's not a lot of information on the website yet, but there will be panels, workshops, contents, and vendors (I've applied to be one of the vendors.) I think it will be free.

WisCon: This one has gone virtual as well. As usual, it will be held Memorial Day weekend. It sounds like there will be a small fee to attend, but registration hasn't opened yet. I haven't attended for a couple of years, so I'm looking forward to participating. While I'll miss seeing my Madison friends and going around my beloved city, it might be easier to focus on the online con if there are fewer real-life things competing with it.

WorldCon (CoNZealand) will occur online between July 29th through August 2nd. The supporting price is about $46. I'm not sure if I'll register for this one yet, but guests include Mercedes Lackey. I was a big fan of her work when I first started reading fantasy, so it might be interesting to attend her panels. Obviously it won't be as thrilling as meeting her in person, but it's much cheaper and easier than flying to New Zealand, even under normal conditions.

Are you aware of other online conventions? If so, feel free to share them in the comments.

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I posted a link recently to someone who listed a bunch of online cons, including that last one. Yes, cheaper than flying to New Zealand. Although that would be cooler.

emaginette said...

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out.

Anna from elements of emaginette

Steven Arellano Rose Jr. said...

I listed a few on my blog from about a month ago but most of those are done already. The only one that hasn't started yet (it starts early May) is DemiCon (https://demicon.org/31/).

Site Meter