Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Storage Locations: Flash Drive vs. Cloud

Normally I like to write or edit on my lunch hour, but I used my time yesterday to write this blog post instead. That's because although I remembered to bring my netbook, I forgot to bring the flash drive where I store current versions of all my important documents. (Don't worry; the flash drive was on my desk when I came home. I had removed it from my laptop but forgotten to stick it in my netbook case.) This happens every so often. Normally I find something else to work on instead; for example, I might draw up a character sketch or plot another story. This time, I wondered if it would make more sense to start keeping my working copies of documents in cloud storage. I would probably use Dropbox, which would work not just with my netbook and laptop but also with my phone. Office 365 also offers cloud storage, and I know other places to get it as well.

The main reason I work from a flash drive instead of cloud storage isn't security or privacy concerns (although those are important), but access concerns. Internet is usually available in most of the places I normally go, but not always. If we're traveling somewhere , I try to squeeze in some writing time while my husband drives. Finding wifi on the highway wouldn't work in that situation. I suppose I could use cloud storage most of the time and upload files to my flash drive right before the trip. Still, sometimes it's easier to have only one spot for your working files. (I do agree that backups should be in multiple locations for safety.)

Where do you keep your current files? For that matter, where do you keep your backups? (Formats can become obsolete very quickly.) Did you remember to back up your files recently? Feel free to discuss in the comments.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You need a Hot Spot on your phone - then you'll have wifi most of the time. (But not all - it's not perfect either.)
Everything about the Cloud makes me wary, so I've never used it for documents. But with writing, it's more that if I am working on a first draft, I can only do that at home in front of my desktop and if I am revising, I've printed it out and need the paper to work.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I guess portable storage isn't an issue when you work at home or on paper, Alex.

PT Dilloway said...

I usually use a flash drive but at work I have to post to an old blog and download at home later.

Maria Zannini said...

I don't back up nearly often enough, but when I do it's to an external hard drive.

I do have one backup on a cloud for my blog, but I'm not too happy with them because every time I store my files I get 3-4 emails wanting me to buy something else.

Connectivity is an issue where I live so if I prefer a tangible piece of equipment for backup.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Sometimes you have to do whatever works, Pat.

Maria, I also have an external hard drive, but it's pretty old.

Theresa Milstein said...

I have a time machine in the house. This came in handy a couple of days ago when I accidentally replaced a file with another file's name. Going into the Time Machine helped me save all that work. Pulling it from the time machine meant using Air Drop to my phone and then emailing myself. I'm sure there is a more efficient way, but it worked!

It must be hard not always having easy access to Internet.

Site Meter