Wednesday, February 01, 2017

IWSG--Writing and Reading

It's not only the first day of February but also the first Wednesday of the month, making it Insecure Writer's Support Group Day. This month, the co-hosts are Misha Gerrick, L.K. Hill, Juneta Key, and Joylene Nowell Butler. Our question for this month is How has being a writer changed your experience as a reader?

I started writing back in my twenties, so I've been both a reader and a writer for quite some time now. The biggest effect writing has had on my reading is to make me more critical as I read a story. Of course typos and grammar mistakes jump out at me, but I also notice pacing, consistency issues, and other aspects of craft. Sometimes these observations lower my opinion of the story; other times, I feel impressed by the author's skill. Either way, I'm less immersed in the reading than I would be if I were just a reader.

How about you? Do you feel being a writer has affected your reading? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Less immersed it a good way to put it. Glad I don't make movies - I'd be bummed if I couldn't still get lost in those.

Maria Zannini said...

LOL! Most definitely. I even catch typos in movie credits. :)

PT Dilloway said...

I don't think it's made much difference.

Crystal Collier said...

I wouldn't say I'm less immersed, but I do notice those things. Actually, I like reading to cement a subconscious map of where beats and major plot/character pacing should fall.

Caitlin Coppola said...

Same. Once you write, you start to pick apart how others do it, hopefully learning as you go.

emaginette said...

I'm always looking to read or watch a great story. The problem is I don't just enjoy them anymore. I critique them and it does take away the fun sometimes.

Anna from elements of emaginette

Juneta key said...

Totally get that and agree. Great post.
Happy IWSG Day!
Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

Site Meter