Wednesday, December 02, 2015

IWSG: With a Little Help from the Beatles

It's time again for the monthly post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. 

This time of year can be a sad one for Beatles fans. November 29 is the anniversary of George Harrison's death, and of course the anniversary of John Lennon's murder is coming up next week on December 8th. There's only one way to cope with the loss of these fine musicians, and that's to play their music. Every December, I treat myself to a Beatles marathon by playing all of their original albums in chronological order. That's not counting solo albums (it may be hard to believe, but I don't own all of them), bootlegs, or collections. It is a definite pick-me-up, and it makes me feel happier and more inspired. Every year I wonder why I don't do it more often.

As writers, we may become obsessed over word counts and goals. We may have other responsibilities on top of writing, duties that can drain us and disconnect us from our muses. It's important to remember to treat yourself to good things too so your creative well keeps flowing. For me, it's Beatles music. What feeds your muse? Please share in the comments.

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Chronological order - that's dedication. I should do that with my Rush albums.
Music is a big pick-me-up in my life, even more so since I can play it. There is a certain joy when you are the one creating the sound that doesn't come from just listening to it. (Unless you're listening to a John Petrucci solo and just wishing you could sound half that good.)

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I'm happy for you, Alex.

PT Dilloway said...

Sometimes I take a drive to get my mind off writing and then maybe something will hit me.

Crystal Collier said...

That's a good question. Probably living real life and enjoying nature. I don't get out nearly enough. =)

Diane Burton said...

Music used to be my pick-me-up. Then somehow I got away from it. I can't listen to music with lyrics while writing--messes up my mind. I enjoy silence. Thanks for the reminder to listen again.

Site Meter