Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Back on the Blog Chain--So, You're an Artist

Amparo has a challenging question for us this round:

Confession: I can't draw to save my life. *sigh* If you had some seriously epic drawing skills (or if you already have them) which published book would you have loved to illustrate? Why does that book--and its characters/premise--strike you as something you'd love to work on as an artist? 

Like Amparo, my drawing skills are pretty poor. But if I could draw and illustrate books, I might choose to illustrate Brood of Bones by A. E. Marling. The heroine of the book is an narcoleptic enchantress named Hiresha. She wears twenty dresses--each one an award for an achievement--all at the same time. In this book, the first of a series, she investigates why all the women in her home city are pregnant, no matter how old they are. I'm drawn (no pun intended) to the image of Hiresha in all of her dresses. I think it would be a challenge to show her moving around in them, and it would be fun to create each dress in a different color in style. If you're looking for a fun fantasy read in an unusual setting, I recommend this book.

To see what books other writers-turned-artists would illustrate, start with Kate's post before mine and Christine's post tomorrow.


3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Can I illustrate a movie instead? I can think of a few in dire need of some good animation.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

That's such an interesting question.

Maria Zannini said...

What a great question. I studied both fine and graphic design. When I was at university, I used to paint covers for books by Edgar Rice Burroughs and Anne McCaffrey.

I still have a pastel sketch somewhere. The paintings had been painted over long ago. (Canvas was expensive for young art students so we reused them often.)

Site Meter