Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Mid-Year Reading Review

Happy Fourth of July, everyone! May you stay cool and have power this holiday!

Since the year is halfway over, I thought it would be a good time to look back at what I've read so far in 2012. Although I'm not tracking my books on this blog the way I did last year, I still track them in Goodreads. My Goodreads challenge for this year was to read 150 books (which I increased over my initial goal of 120). According to Goodreads, I've read 98 books so far this year. Some of these items are actually novellas, novelettes, or even short stories, but I guess they still count as long at they're listed independently in Goodreads.

Here's how they break down by genre:

Science Fiction: 13
Fantasy: 53
Mystery: 4
Other: 11
Non-Fiction, Writing: 6
Non-Fiction, Science: 2 (must increase this, although I do subscribe to Scientific American
Non-Fiction, Other: 9


I noted five novellas and five novelettes read so far.

Only five books in this list were in paper form. I am reading another paper book, but it's a nonfiction book that stays at home and is lucky to get five minutes of my attention before bedtime. (It's not boring, but it is a nonfiction collection dealing with womens' lives in the Great Lakes region during the 19th and early 20th centuries--research for a novel idea.) I started that one back in April, so I'm behind as far as clearing one paper book off my To-Read tower every month.

Favorites I've read? It's hard to choose, especially when I've read so many. Here are a few stand-out titles:

To Say Nothing of the Dog (a favorite of mine; this was a re-reread)
Phoenix Rising
Threaded Through Time, Parts One and Two
Timeless
The Art of Racing in the Rain
The Master of Heathcrest Hall
Half the Sky
Wool Omnibus
The Emperor's Edge


How many books have you read so far this year? Which ones do you recommend reading?






3 comments:

Catherine Stine said...

I liked Cherie Priest's Fathom a lot. I'm reading lots of indies on my Kindle Fire.

Anonymous said...

OMG--you've read a LOT!!!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

It's always great to support other indies, Catherine!

Laura, yes, I have no life. ;)

Site Meter