1. Tell your spouse that you want some writing time in the afternoon and would appreciate it if he/she could look after your toddler during that time.
2. To prepare your toddler for you not being by his side every single second, do some household chores upstairs first before settling into your office.
3. Try to ignore the questions of "Where's Mama?" coming from downstairs every five minutes.
3a. Do check in briefly before your toddler gets too upset.
3b. Do realize your toddler will be OK, even if he refuses to nap.
4. Since your time is limited, limit the amount of goofing off you do and actually write.
5. Wish your office had a door, especially when your toddler comes upstairs to find you.
6. If possible, finish what you're working on before devoting your attention back to your son.
7. When he goes to bed extra early because of the missed nap, take advantage of the time.