Sunday, December 11, 2005

Christmas Time in Chicago

Eugene considers it his responsibility to drag me away from the computer once in a while so I can see what Real Life is like--as if I have time for that. ;) Today we'd planned on having breakfast in the Walnut Room at Marshall Field's in Chicago. We got up at 6:30 (which is early for us on Sundays), worked out, showered, got dressed, and drove in. We arrived around 9:30, and the line was already so long we had to wait half an hour just to pick up a pager. By the time we did, we were told we wouldn't be able to get in until 12:30, and we couldn't wait that long. We did manage to take some pictures of the tree from the floor above before leaving to find a deli. The place didn't have the ambiance we were hoping for, but the food was more important. Afterwards, we wandered around downtown for a bit. We visited Millennium Park, which is where Eugene proposed to me. It's hard to believe it's been almost a year since then! Then we walked to the Daley Plaza to see the Christmas tree there. There was also a Kristkindlemarkt there, which is basically a German bazaar. Some of the vendors were in tents; others had more permanent shelters. They had many different things to offer, including Christmas tree ornaments, wood carvings, lace, and candles. Plus there were treats such as mulled wine and cider. We wandered around for a bit, drinking cider and buying a couple of ornaments and gifts, before we had to drive back home, running a few more errands along the way. Despite the disappointment with the Walnut Room, Eugene and I enjoyed ourselves. After all, this is our first Christmas together as a married couple.

Later that afternoon, a couple of friends came over to look at pictures from the wedding. We all went out to dinner afterwards. We had a good time. Unfortunately, after dinner, we had to catch up on some other things we've been putting off for a while, such as sending out the cookies. We just bagged bunches of them and placed them into tins; along the way, Eugene coined a new word: "orphanated." (Bags of cookies without recipes have been orphanated. I guess you had to be there.) It's late, I'm tired, I have a backlog of chores and reviews to clear, and I didn't get any writing done today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better, even if it's a Monday. In the meantime, I have to crash. I'll try to post the pictures from our Chicago excursion tomorrow. Stay tuned....

No comments:

Site Meter