Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Reader Expectations

I finally caught up with the first season of Ahsoka a couple of days ago. Without going into plot details, my impression was it should have been called a live-action version of Rebels. The impression I had going into the show was that we would see more of Ahsoka's backstory; however, her story seemed to be a minor part of the show compared to Sabine's, Hera's, and Ezra's, let alone Thrawn and the other antagonists. Consequently, I enjoyed the show less than I would have if I'd been thinking of it as another season of Rebels. 

I think it's important to set reader expectations before they start the story. For me, the title didn't set the right expectations for this show, and I have to admit I didn't pay much attention to the series or episode descriptions. Of course, images and book covers also set reader expectations. 

Was there a book or show that gave you a different initial impression than what you had after reading or watching it? Feel free to share examples in the comments.

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Fortunately, I've never watched any of the animated Star Wars series so I'm enjoying it.

Site Meter