Wednesday, July 06, 2022

July IWSG: Any (Book) World That I'm Welcome To


 Here we are at the beginning of another month, so it must be time to encourage other writers with an Insecure Writer's Support Group post. Learn more about the IWSG on their website, Facebook, or Twitter feed.

Our hosts this month are J Lenni Dorner, Janet Alcorn, PJ Colando, Jenni Enzor, and Diane Burton.

We have an interesting question this month: If you could live in any book world, which one would you choose?

If I'm allowed to pick my own work, I would choose the gaslamp country of Challen. The tech level is similar to late nineteenth century England, but the Four Gods and Goddesses of Challen have gifted Their Avatars with magic to heal people, help plants and animals, and control the weather. It's a feminist society that offers niches for people who don't want to marry or have children. I came up with this world and my "Fem Four" around 1996, and I wouldn't still be writing stories in this setting if I didn't care for it.

If I were to pick another author's world, I'd probably select Becky Chamber's A Psalm for the Wild Built. You could consider it a cozy science fiction book or part of the hopepunk genre. (I haven't had a chance to read the sequel yet.) It's set on a colonized moon, and the people are accepting of each other, know how to build cozy homes, and appreciate the calming power of a cup of tea. 

I'll end this post with Steely Dan's "Any World That I'm Welcome To."

https://youtu.be/fDWV-570oXo


6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Didn't think about picking my own world since I would really enjoy teleportation.

Olga Godim said...

I like how your world of Challen sounds. A feminist society has a lot to recommend it.

Diane Burton said...

I, too, like your feminist society. That would be a unique change.

Damyanti Biswas said...

Wow, sounds like a beautiful world :D

Steven Arellano Rose Jr. said...

In this time of uncertainty and chaos, we need more hopepunk. I'm planning to write a little more optimistically in my own fiction.

Nick Wilford said...

Those sound like very pleasant worlds to live in.

Site Meter