Wednesday, January 05, 2022

IWSG: Writing Regrets

Welcome to 2022! Here's hoping it's a better year for all of us.


This isn't just the first post of the year, but also the first Insecure Writer's Support Group post for 2022. Learn more about the IWSG on their website, Facebook page, or Twitter feed

Our hosts for this month are Erika Beebe, Olga Godim (no link available), Sandra Cox, Sarah Foster, and Chemist Ken.

Our question for this month is on regrets, not resolutions: What's the one thing about your writing career you regret the most? Were you able to overcome it?

I would say my biggest regret is not finishing and publishing more of my work, specifically, Catalyst in the Crucible, which would be the third novel in the science fiction Catalyst Chronicles series. I got stuck on a story set between Twinned Universes and Catalyst in the Crucible, which made it difficult to move forward. (I have actually drafted part of this novel, but it's not finished yet.) Part of the problem with the novel is that although the first two books feature time travel, Catalyst in the Crucible would (a) throw some life-changing problems at my characters and (b) move into a new subgenre of science fiction. I'm not sure how fans would react to a mid-series change.

Of course, as long as I'm still able to write, there's always the possibility that I could go back and finish the story. I think about it occasionally. It's hard to accomplish when there are so many other writing projects I want to work on. (My writing goals for this year are to publish two books in my cozy mystery series and a collection of short stories in my fantasy Season Avatars series--so I can move forward and write more books in that universe.) Perhaps I should say my biggest regret is not being more productive, which would mean the best way to overcome that would be to stop blogging and return to fiction.

What are your writing regrets? Feel free to share them here--or, if you're here for the IWSG, leave a link to your blog post. I should also visit more bloggers this year!

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's not blogging that gets in the way - it's just life. And funny how the more conveniences we get, the busier we are.
I hope you get those books done this year.

Shannon Lawrence said...

I think doubts will often throw on the brakes on projects. I find when I'm help back, there's something I'm worrying about or having doubts about. Figuring out the appropriate answers can help. Good luck!

The Warrior Muse

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It's always a risk to change genres slightly with a series, but if fans have grown to love the characters, they won't care.

John Winkelman said...

I feel your pain with regards to unfinished work. I have half a dozen novels in various states of completion, along with a VAST pile of short stories. Given the option between fnishing one story and starting another, I more often than not start the new one. Or binge-watch a season of something forgettable on Netflix. In any event, yeah, finishing is much more difficult than starting.

Olga Godim said...

I think changing genre could be a good thing. It might widen your readership pool.
On the other hand, some stories slip away from us, destined never to be finished. I'm sure we all have those. If your muse resists going back to that story, you should trust it.

Site Meter