Wednesday, July 07, 2021

IWSG: Quitting Writing?


2021 is more than halfway done. Today might be Ringo Starr's birthday, but it's also post day for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Learn more about them on their website, Facebook group, or Twitter page

Our hosts for July are Pat Garcia, Victoria Marie Lees, and Louise-Fundy Blue

Our question for this month is a simple yet deep one: What would make you quit writing?
 
I've been writing for about a quarter of a century now. I started out wanting to be traditionally published, then self-published my novels while selling a few shorter works to anthologies. It hasn't been a overwhelmingly productive or lucrative career so far, but hope springs anew with each completed story. I can fill my time with plenty of other activities if I choose, but writing fills my soul in a way other hobbies don't. My passion for writing has survived critique groups and workshops, rejections, bad writing advice, bad reviews, and being a working mother. At this point, I probably won't stop writing until I'm no longer physically or mentally able to continue. And if I should pass away while at the keyboard, I hope it's after I've completed whatever I was working on at the time.

Have you ever considered quitting writing, or have you done so for a while before being drawn back to it? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.



 

4 comments:

Pat Garcia said...

Hi,

Right On. There is no other thing I would rather do than write. I too hope to die after I have written my last story in a peaceful sleep.
Take care and all the best with your writing.

Shalom aleichem,
Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes, be sure to finish what you were working on before going on!

James Pailly said...

Bad writing advice is one of the toughest things to survive, I think. If you hear bad advice and internalize it, that can really suck all the joy out of writing.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

If you've been doing it that long, you won't be quitting anytime soon.

Site Meter