Wednesday, February 03, 2021

Insecure Writer's Support Group: Blogging Buddies

 

Welcome to another month with the Insecure Writer's Support Group, where we share our writing struggles and triumphs. Learn more about the IWSG on their website, Facebook page, and Twitter feed.

Our "hosts with the posts" this month are Louise-Fundy Blue, Jennifer Lane, Mary Aalgaard, Patsy Collins, and Nancy Gideon.

Our question this month relates to blogging: Blogging is often more than just sharing stories. It's often the start of special friendships and relationships. Have you made any friends through the blogosphere?

I started blogging to stay in touch with my college friends, but it's helped me make more friends. I've been fortunate to be part of at least three blogging groups besides the IWSG. They include a "blog chain" of writers who would take turns discussing a subject and link to other bloggers in the chain; a "blog ring of power" (BRoP) that interviewed writers (with each blogger posting a different part of the interview); and a group of independent writers who put out a magazine on Amazon called Indie Writers Monthly. I don't think I've met any of these bloggers in person, but I still connect with some of them through Facebook. (Ironically, I just realized I haven't checked any of their blogs in ages, but I spend much less time blogging than I used to myself.) I might also attend a virtual birthday party for one of my blogging buddies from the Blog Ring of Power this week. The Atlantic posted an article this week about the importance of casual friends in our lives. Hopefully we will remember that long after the pandemic is over. (And yes, I should make more of an effort to visit other IWSG members' blogs, but between being all day in the office at work and spending time playing board games with my husband in the evenings, I tend not to have a lot of free time on Wednesday. I should still make it a goal to read more blogs, though.)

How much do you interact with other bloggers? Are you friends with any of them? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.



 

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

DO your college friends still read your blog?
I don't spend as much time blogging as I used to, but I do everything I can to stay connected, especially on IWSG day.

Patsy said...

I do try to interact with other bloggers and have made friends that way.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I try to interact a couple times a month and I've met several bloggers in person.

Helen said...

My main interaction with bloggers is during "The Insecure Writer's Support Group" prompts. :)

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Alex, I see more of my friends on Facebook now than I do on their blogs. I suppose I could share my blog on my Facebook page.

Patsy, I need to interact more with other bloggers.

Diane, that's great that you got to meet them.

Helen, same for me.

Site Meter