Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Bird Watching

 One thing I love to do in the winter is feed the birds. A side benefit of working more from home this year is being able to watch them at lunch. For a suburban area, we get a pretty good variety. Our visitors include cardinals, blue jays, chickadees, mourning doves, juncos, downy woodpeckers, red-bellied woodpeckers, and unidentified sparrows. This year, I'm also getting some birds I haven't noticed before, like these two:

This is a junco, but not the slate-colored variety I normally see. I posted this picture in a Facebook birding group, and the consensus seems to be that it's a pink-sided junco normally found out west. I wonder if it could be a hybrid between different varieties.

The bird below is also new to me this year. I thought at first it was a pine siskin, but someone else thought it could be a song sparrow. I really need to work on identifying my sparrows!

Do you like watching or feeding birds? Do you have a favorite? If so, feel free to share it in the comments.


 

 
 





2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We have a few feeders and get a lot of birds. We have several variety of yellow ones that come to the feeders.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We have five feeders and two suets out and get all kinds of birds. We even have a pair of woodpeckers. Plus a red tailed hawk that hangs out, along with the crows and turkey vultures.

Site Meter