Wednesday, October 09, 2019

Fantastic Trees and Where to Find Them

Since my work-in-progress is about dryads, naturally I have to research trees. In particular, I've been looking up extreme trees, such as very old or very big ones. Here are some of the most interesting ones I've found, though I won't tell you how they affect the story:

Thimmamma Marrimanu is a banyan tree over five hundred years old and spread out over almost five acres. It's found in India.










The redwood trees along the coast of California and Oregon can reach nearly 380 feet in height. They can live over a thousand years.



Baobab trees in Africa can also live a long time, up to fifteen hundred years. They bloom for a single night, and their root systems are taller than the part of the tree above ground.






I plan to introduce trees from other continents as well, but I'm still researching them. 

Have you seen any of these trees in person? Do you have a favorite type of tree? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.

2 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've seen redwoods.

There are some wild looking trees in the Charleston area, very spread out like that first one.

DRC said...

i do like looking at trees, especially interestng old Oaks. I do think Madagascar have some weird trees there. Have you seen them? Don't know what they're called off the top of my head...

Site Meter