Wednesday, June 05, 2019

IWSG: My Favorite Genre

This is my son's last day of school, so in some ways it's the unofficial start of summer for us. Just as the first Wednesday of June is the last day of school, it's also one of the days for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. You can learn more about them on their website, Facebook page, or Twitter. June's co-hosts are Diane Burton, Kim Lajevardi, Sylvia Ney, Sarah Foster, Jennifer Hawes, and Madeline Mora-Summonte.

Our question for June is simple and straightforward: Of all the genres you read and write, which is your favorite to write in and why?

I analyze the books I've read twice a year, and each time I've done so, fantasy has always come out on top. (After that, it's usually science fiction, mystery, classic literature, and perhaps a couple of mainstream fiction books.) It's probably no surprise that fantasy is also my favorite genre to write. It's flexible; I've used it in many different settings, such as Shakespeare plays, Greek myths, modern-day Madison, and a made-up world similar to Victorian England. It allows me to make up my own worlds and run them the way I want. And, of course, magic is simply fun, and it can inspire wonder in a way most other genres can't.

What's your favorite genre to write? Feel free to share in the comments, or if you're also discussing this question for the IWSG, you can also post a link to your blog.

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Magic is fun! Fantasy is a favorite to read but I've not attempted writing it yet.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Hope you try it sometime, Alex!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've not read a lot of fantasy, but Anne McCaffrey was my favorite sci-fi author.

James Pailly said...

It's science fiction for me, all the way. I enjoy reading other genres, especially fantasy, but I can't bring myself to write anything that doesn't have some science in it.

Site Meter