Wednesday, February 06, 2019

IWSG: Creative Callings

January's finally over, so that means we're one month closer to spring. I wouldn't mind fast-forwarding to March, but unfortunately that's not possible. At least we have the Insecure Writer's Support Group to keep us going during the rough weather. To learn more about the IWSG, check out their website, Facebook page, or Twitter feed.

This month's co-hosts are Raimey Gallant, Natalie Aguirre, CV Grehan, and Michelle Wallace. For February, we've been asked the following question: Besides writing, what other creative outlets do you have?

 If you've been following my blog for a while, you know one of my other creative outlets is crochet. I focus on amigurumi, figures of characters and animals. Most of the amigurumi I make is from other people's patterns of Star Wars characters, but I'm slowly branching out into other geeky characters and working on my own designs. Here are a few photos of my work. The top one mostly features Star Wars characters; the bottom one displays variations on a porg pattern.

Since getting into Star Wars costuming in 2015, I've also learned to sew. I still consider myself a beginner, but I've made Jawa costumes, lanyards, and a skirt (pictured below). Eventually I want to make my own Jedi robes, but I'm not sure if I want to make General Leia's blue dress from the end of The Force Awakens or have someone else make it for me.

I'm not sure if I should count Star Wars costuming separately from sewing. There's more to costuming than sewing; some people do leatherwork, assemble armor, or paint/embroider as well. Trooping (wearing the costume in public at scheduled events) might also be considered a separate creative endeavor, since it's acting. When I wear my Jawa costume, I try to avoid speaking English and use Jawaese words instead. I also goof around much more than I do as myself or as an Imperial Officer. To save space, I'm not going to post any Jawa pictures in this post, but you can find them in the archives.

Finally, cooking and baking are also creative outlets for me. Most of the time, I follow recipes, but I occasionally tweak them to suit my own taste or use ingredients I have on hand.

Juggling all these creative endeavors takes a lot of time, but it's good to be able to switch between them. It's quite fulfilling to sell an amigurumi to someone or wear something I made myself.

Do you have any creative hobbies? If so, feel free to share them in the comments.



11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A beginner? Your costumes are impressive. Plus I'm sure that all takes a lot of time. Equally impressive!
Hope you're doing all right, Sandra.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Thanks, Alex!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I should clarify that while I made my Jawa robe and hood, I bought my Imperial Officer uniform and accessories.

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's amazing that you make costumes. Wish you lived near me. I help out with a community theater group and we could use your talents in costuming.

And I can't wait till Spring too after last week's brutal cold and snow.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I want a little Porg! Where do you sell them?

Diane Burton said...

Your crocheting is amazing. I never could learn that skill. Enjoy your creative outlets.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

To be honest, Natalie, I prefer crocheting over sewing.

Diane Wolfe, I have a Facebook page for my crochet; it's called Solar Unicorn Stitching. You can also e-mail me at ulbrichalmazan@sbcglobal.net.

Diane Burton, thanks!

emaginette said...

Very cute. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Thanks, Anna!

Gina Gao said...

These look amazing, thank you for sharing!

www.ficklemillennial.blogspot.com

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Thanks, Gina!

Site Meter