Wednesday, December 05, 2018

IWSG: Five Things in My Writing Space

Welcome to the final Insecure Writer's Support Group for 2018. You can learn more about the IWSG on their website, Facebook, and Twitter. Our hosts this month are J.H. Moncrieff, Tonja Drecker, Patsy Collins, and Chrys Fey. Our question for this month is "What are five objects we'd find in your writing space?"

The easiest way to answer this question would be to take a picture of my home office, but it's too cluttered at the moment to show anyone. Instead, I'll describe a few things that I think will be most interesting or reveal my character.

1. "Let There Be Write." I have a two-page printout of a short story called "Let There Be Write," by Nancy Fulda taped to my desk, right above my laptop. It was published online in Strange Horizons in 2005. It's a parody of the Creation story from Genesis, detailing how a writer creates a story. The twist ending is something that will ring true for many writers, including me. I'm not sure if posting a picture of the printout would violate copyright, so I won't include one.


2. A small statue of an Egyptian scribe that I bought in the British Museum. We visited London in 2006 for our one-year anniversary. The leftover British money from that vacation rests on the scribe's lap as an offering. Perhaps I need to increase my donation to advance my writing career.

3. Christmas Trooper--My son made me a Limited Edition Christmas Trooper by coloring one of his Lego Stormtroopers red and green with markers. I keep it in the original packaging, on the same shelf as the scribe.

4. An acrylic dish with a sunflower on the bottom. I needed a little dish for my tea strainer, and this one cost only a dollar or so. I'm a big tea drinker and go though multiple cups of green, loose-leaf tea daily.

5. Reference books. I still keep paper copies of a dictionary, a thesaurus, grammar/style guides, and baby name books on my desk. However, I almost never use them anymore, since my first instinct is to look things up online.

As you can see from the pictures, there's lots more I could list, but I'll stop here. Feel free to share details about your writing space below.

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Now that's an eclectic collection of items all right!

Diane Burton said...

Eclectic is right. But each item has a special meaning for you and that's what's important. Have a great month.

James Pailly said...

Just went and checked out "Let There Be Write." That was a delightful story. A worthy inclusion in anyone's writing space.

C.D. Gallant-King said...

It's nice that your objects have meaning and purpose. I have the electrical box and artwork my wife stuck on the wall because she had no where else to put it. :-/

<a href="http://www.cdgallantking.ca/2018/12/and-so-we-wait-iwsg-december-2018.html>IWSG December</a>

emaginette said...

I'd love a Christmas Trooper too. One day Santa will hear my call. hehehe

Happy holidays.

Anna from elements of emaginette

Tonja Drecker said...

The Christmas Trooper is my favorite from the list. Although the 'Let There Be Write' sounds interesting too.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The Christmas Trooper sounds so cute.

Site Meter