Wednesday, October 05, 2016

IWSG--When Do You Know Your Story Is Ready?

If it's the first Wednesday of the month, it's time for another Insecure Writer's Support Group post. This month's co-hosts are  Beverly Stowe McClure, Megan Morgan, Viola Fury, Madeline Mora-Summonte, Angela Wooldridge, and
Susan Gourley


For October, we've been posed the following question: When do you know your story is ready?

I think every writer is going to have a different response to this question. I'm a pantser, so my stories are definitely not ready after the rough draft. When I finish that, I set it aside for a while before uploading it to my Kindle for a read-through. I note wording changes on this draft, but I will also outline what I've written so I can see how well the plot works. This will help me figure out if there's material I need to add or change. Then I go back through and revise my story into a second--or possibly third draft. This is the point where I will send the manuscript out to my beta readers for their feedback so I can incorporate it into the story. Along the way, I'll lay the story out for eBook and paper (for longer works) formats. By the time I review the proof copy, I've been over the story several times and am sick of looking at it, even though I still catch mistakes at this stage. But after this step, I'm usually ready to be done with the story and move on to something else. I may still think of things I'd like to revise after publication, but I try not to make major changes by this point.

In other words, I know my story is ready when I've done the best I can with it at this stage of my career and can't find any more things, either major or minor, that I want to change. No story is ever perfect or will please everyone, but sometimes you have to release it to move on and improve.

How about you? For the writers out there, when do you know your story is ready? Feel free to reply in the comments.

P.S. From now through Sunday, Twinned Universes, Scattered Seasons, and Chaos Season are only $0.99 each! 

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

After many, many passes, I'm just making minor changes as well. And I'm sick of reading it. The final pass-through after review copies and before the final copy is all right though, I'm all right with it, but I'll never read it again. (Which is why hearing them in audio was so weird.)

Crystal Collier said...

I love that. You know you're done when you've done your best. =) I'm so picky--like bad. I could spend ten years on every book, but my publisher and editor don't give me that privilege. *sigh* Deadlines are my test.

emaginette said...

You and I seem to do the same prep work. hehehe

Anna from elements of emaginette

PT Dilloway said...

I don't like spending too much time fretting about it.

Anonymous said...

"No story is ever perfect." Words to live by. I agree with your philosophy that we just write the best story we can, then let it be.

Diane Burton said...

It sounds like you've found what works for you. That's great. I know what you mean abut being sick of a story. Been there. Often. Best wishes.

Site Meter