Friday, July 17, 2015

Science of the Week, 7/17/15

Here are some of the most interesting science news articles I read this week:

New particle discovered at the Large Hadron Collider

Can you actually hear "inaudible" sound?

Neuroscience and technology come together to support people with disabilities

Where does water go when it doesn't flow?

The quantum physics of artificial light harvesting

Intellectual pursuits may buffer the brain against addiction

Like sitting, standing in the workplace may have long-term health consequences

Large feathered, winged dinosaur was close relative of velociraptor

Human-wrought environmental changes impacting crops and pollinators could harm health of millions

Autonomous taxis would deliver significant environmental and economic benefits

Gut microbes enable coffee pest to withstand extremely toxic concentrations of caffeine

The sleep-deprived brain can mistake friends for foes
(Better be careful around me--I never get enough sleep!)


Have a good weekend, and I'll see you Monday!





















3 comments:

PT Dilloway said...

You can't sit or stand at work? That's it, we just shouldn't work at all. Which hasn't been a problem for me in almost a year.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Maybe we should walk around all day, Pat. And I hope you find something soon.

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

The "hearing" of brain signals is a thrilling concept. I've known a few nonverbal people in the community who could really benefit.
I wonder, if someone is hooked up to this, if they will be able to maintain privacy. I mean, say you anger me, I can just shut up and pretend I'm fine. Not so with this technology. Still, huge leap forward if this works!

Site Meter