Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Discussion: Your Favorite Science

If you read science fiction, is there a type of science you enjoy reading about the most? Do you like reading about space travel, or are you more interested in bioengineering? Do computers and nanotech appeal to you? How about anthropological science fiction such as Ursula Le Guin's work?

For me, I've read all types of science fiction, but since I studied molecular biology in undergrad, I find myself most interested in biological science fiction, whether that means altering our own bodies or dealing with "strange new life forms." Please feel free to share your preferences in the comments below. Do you have a background in your favorite science, or do you enjoy learning about something new? Do you feel one type of science lends itself to fiction better than others?

5 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Ooh. Hard question.

For someone who tries to avoid tech, I'm the geekiest person you'll ever meet. I don't have an overwhelming need to immerse myself in technology, but I'm fanatical about learning how it works. Weird, yes?

My science interests vary widely, but I'll stop whatever I'm doing to read anything if it involves the natural sciences like anthropology.

Connie Keller said...

I'm not a huge sci fi fan. But if it's well written, I'll read it. As long as the writer gives me an excuse to believe it--I'm there.

Anonymous said...

Right now I would have to say genetically engineered anthropomorphic characters is probably my favorite. I just read a great book by John Van Stry. Although to be honest I don't read a whole lot of sci fi so the pool is rather small.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I love physics. I'm good with math so I think I should have gone into this field but never did. I think I've made many wrong choices in my life. Sigh.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I haven't had much chance to comment today, so thanks to everyone for keeping the conversation going!

Maria--Learning is always good.

Connie--I like your attitude!

Bookblogger--I'm trying to think of books with characters like that. I'm sure I've read some, but I'm coming up blank. Do you have any more ideas?

Michael--Physics offers many good ideas for SF. Sometimes I wish I'd been more steadfast in my pursuit of science, but writing about SF helps keep me "in the loop" to some small degree.

Site Meter