Friday, August 12, 2011

Science of the Week 8/12/11

It's been a hectic week for me, so I haven't had much time to search for interesting science tidbits. I'm sure some of you have heard that there may be salt water on Mars, or the building blocks of DNA have been found in meteorites. But did you know that the human brain is sensitive to light in the ears? Or that it may be possible for information to escape from a black hole? Extrasolar planets are becoming more common, but not when they're extremely dark yet glowing hot. Back on Earth, scientists are making quantum crystals and using genetically-engineered spider silk for gene therapy. I would be happy to settle for some massage therapy. ;)

Have a good weekend, and please let me know if you like this way of embedding the article links or if you prefer a straight list the way I normally do.

5 comments:

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I had not heard about the salt water on Mars...well come to think of it, it was on Cindy Borgne's website. So scratch that. She was talking about Vallar and how she is going to use that probably in her next book and have it be a plot trope or something. I thought it sounded fascinating.

I asked my editor if she wanted to take on other projects and she said that right now she's too busy but maybe this fall there might be time.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Thanks for asking, Michael. I do have some other editors in mind; I just need to talk to them.

Briane said...

I once wrote a story called "Quantum Everything" (it's available here: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/just-exactly-how-life-looks/6371034) in which scientists discussed how to revive flagging scientific interest so they didn't have to get real jobs; their decision was to "quantum everything," because quantum mechanics had been such a big hit. So it's exciting for me to read that story on quantum crystals and see how right I was.

Cheyanne said...

These are amazing links! I think I know what I'll be reading through for the rest of the day :)

Rusty Carl said...

Hey Sandra - Don't know how I missed your blog for so long. Yep, these tidbits ought to keep me busy for a while at least.

Site Meter