Saturday, May 13, 2006

Food Coma Fest 2006

My mother-in-law's birthday was on Thursday, and tomorrow is Mother's Day. We celebrated by taking her out to dinner at Sal E Carvao, a Brazilian steakhouse. (We celebrated with my mom last week.) If you haven't been to a Brazilian steakhouse before, it's an all-you-can-eat type of place featuring 14 different types of meat (filet, sirloin, prime rib, lamb, chicken, sausage, and several other varieties). When you're ready to eat, you flip over a little card (like a beverage coaster) to the green side, and waiters will flock to your table bearing various cuts of meat that they slice in front of you. There's also a good-sized salad bar (one of my favorite items on it is the fresh mozzarella), but of course everyone goes there for the meat. My company has had the company holiday party there a couple of times, and it's been a big hit. We haven't been there for over a year, so it was good to return and feast. Now I'm actually feeling more full than when we left. It's a good thing we don't have much planned for the night, although we're going to call Russ soon. Russ, I hope you're home and relaxing. If you're not home, I hope you're not still working. Give yourself a break!

4 comments:

Russ said...

Sandra and Eugene caught me in the car, a little past 9, just as I was leaving the office. We had a nice chat as I drove from the office to the Saint Clair Broiler, a 50+ year-old dive in Saint Paul. They were teasing me - "you mean there's something still open in that town?" I assured them there are a few places to eat at 10 p.m. Saturday in Saint Paul. After I hung up, I went into the Broiler, ordered, and worked on a crossword puzzle. I started noticing the place emptying, and the staff looking like they were finishing up for the night. When I was done, around 10:15 or so, I looked at the hours on the way out the door, and, sure enough, they close at 10 p.m. on Saturday. Those Saint Paul night owls. ;)

Sabrina said...

Paul wants to go to one of those places for his birthday. Maybe by then there will be one in the Great North by us! :)

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

There are a couple of places in Schaumburg. If you could come down for the GTG last October, hopefully you'll be able to make it down here again.

Sabrina said...

Yeah we were at the Fuddruckers in Lombard today and saw the one you went to. I had *just* been telling DH's aunt about "some Brazillian steak house place that I *think* is out here somewhere" when we saw it on our way out. :)

Site Meter