Friday, February 24, 2006

Tele-Experimenting

I'm doing something today I never thought possible with my job: I'm working from home.

I can't talk about what I'm doing, but it requires a stove. Our lab at work doesn't have one, so my boss suggested I do this experiment at home. It's nice; I'm even more casual than I normally am (no make-up; aren't you glad I don't use a webcam? Just kidding), and I get to listen to the radio instead of my whistling co-worker. His playlist is very limited. I also don't have to pay a toll when I walk from the office to the kitchen. But it's not all fun and games by any means. I started this project right after breakfast, cleaning the kitchen counters, washing my equipment, and boiling it in a huge pot of water while I took my shower. I also can't have any food in the kitchen (it might contaminate my project), so if I reach a point with this project where the stove is off for a while, I might run out to Subway for lunch. Does that count as a business expense? It would if I were traveling, but I'd feel funny claiming it for this.

Anyway, I hope this works. I've seen this procedure done before, but this is the first time I've tried it, and I wasn't too impressed with the instructions I have. I wound up rewriting them to incorporate our changes. But I also realized this morning that I forgot something crucial at work, and I'm at a point where I can't go fetch it. We'll just see how this batch works out without it. Hopefully, everything will go well, and we'll want to repeat this project with several variations. It'll be nice since I might have some down time to review/write while things cook.

No comments:

Site Meter