Friday, April 02, 2010

Setting Priorities

I've decided I need to be four people. One to work, one to take care of Alex (though I think the stimulation he gets at daycare is good for him), one to cover domestic duties, and one to actually take care of me and write.

Scary to think so much is demanded of a single person, isn't it? But I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who's overworked like this. The reason I'm bringing this up is because today work is closed and daycare is open. Since dropping Alex off, I've gone shopping, swept and mopped the floors, vacuumed the upstairs, cleaned the master bathroom, made a dessert (which took longer than the recipe claimed), and baked two loaves of potato bread. Oh yeah, and done two loads of laundry (one's still in the washer; the other has to be folded). I said this would be my day to recharge my batteries, but instead I've spent most of it on other things. They needed to be done, and there's still much more I should do to make this place presentable. But I promised myself I would work on Across Two Universes today, so it's time to "just say no" to the rest of the chores. I've got a strawberry banana smoothie, retro tunes on Pandora, and red polish on my toenails. Time to sit in my office (which desperately needs to be organized too) and crank out some words.

My take-home lesson for you is to make time for you and your writing too. After all, the chores will always be there. Especially later, when my son returns home and promptly starts creating more messes.

Have a happy Easter, and enjoy your weekend! I'll be back soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You've definitely identified one of my struggles as a writer--time! Sometimes cloning almost seems like a good idea ...

Enjoy your Easter :-)

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Thanks for stopping by, KLo, and I hope you have a Happy Easter too!

Site Meter