Monday, January 07, 2013

Blog Ring of Power--Susan Curnow

Welcome to the first BRoP interview of 2013! It's especially exciting for me since we're featuring one of my long-time crit partners from the Online Writing Workshop for Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror (better known as OWW), Susan Curnow. Her book Games of Adversaries was published late last year. Let's get to know her a little better.

How long have you been writing?
Since I was a wee thing.

When and why did you begin writing?
I guess I just had to. Not a conscious decision at the time—I just did.

Tell us about your early works—what was the first thing you ever wrote?
A story, which won an award at school about how we picked up our Labrador pup from a dogs home. After that it was torrid romances which were always set around animals.

When did you first consider yourself a professional writer? 
I guess when my first shorty story was published but truly the day my novel came out with Artema Press.

What books have most influenced your life? 

Early on it was Enid Blyton, who I devoured as a child, then the Silver brumby stories by Elyne Mitchell. I then progressed to Michael Moorcock whose Elric of Melnibone had a huge impact. One of my biggest influences was CJ Cherryh’s Cyteen, because she made me hate a character in the novel so vividly that I thought, I want to write like that. Following that were lovely lyrical writers like Janny Wurts and then Kate Elliott and C.S Friedman.

What genre do you write?
 (Soft) Science Fiction and Fantasy.

What is your favorite theme/genre to write about? 
Just, to take a what-if and expand upon it. Theme-wise, very often, the arrogance of humanity.

If you couldn’t be an author, what would your ideal career be?  
The rehabilitation of horses after other people have ruined them.

Games of Adversaries

Yiahan rial Krais dances for his god, while in another time and another world, Commander Marcus Oregada strives to save his folk.

Bereft of families, wives and children, no loved ones live to warn them: Beware the door slammed shut to escape inhuman violence, where memories amass like cobwebs, spun by he who spilled your blood.

For there will be a day of reckoning to sweep away reason and sanity.

To break you and divide you, never knowing it will bind you, as it twists and rends your lives to face the destroyer of souls.

Susan's Social Networks:
Blog:
Facebook page:
Goodreads author page:
Amazon:
Other:

Is your book in print, ebook or both? Both


Susan's interview continues this week at these sites:

Tuesday--The Writing Life--Dean
Wednesday--The Creative Process--Terri
Thursday--About Your Current Work--Theresa
Friday--Words of Wisdom--Emily









5 comments:

LM Preston said...

Oooh, Games of Adversaries, looks exciting. Thanks for sharing.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

You're welcome, LM!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for hosting me, Sandra! If there are any further questions, feel free to ask. I come up as 'makoiyi' here.

Maria Zannini said...

Congrats, Sue!

PS I read about a horse rehab center not far from me. What they do is nothing short of miraculous.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Maria!
Yes, horses are a little like elephants - they don't forget - and it takes a lot of patience to bring them around. But like many a dog there are very few that are born 'bad'. Current economy means there are a lot of unwanted horses, which is a pity in many ways. It isn't their fault, after all, but... I just wish I had oodles of money to help them.

Site Meter