Saturday, January 21, 2006

Small World

Eugene and I went to Barnes and Noble tonight after dinner. He wandered off to collect a pile of books and magazines while I got settled in the cafe. As I was booting up my laptop, I noticed a teenager in a varsity jacket. The back of it said "Comets," the name for my high school's sports teams, in blue; our colors were blue and gold. I didn't get a good enough look at the front of his jacket to confirm if he was from my high school or not. I was tempted to ask him, but after that glimpse he ventured further into the shelves, and I didn't see him again. I wouldn't have known this person anyway, as the year on the sleeve was from this decade. It was still strange seeing someone (possibly) from Delavan, Wisconsin, in West Dundee, Illinois, though. I also have to admit that seeing him made me realize that in two more years I'll have my 20-year reunion. High school doesn't seem that long ago. I also thought about the class ring I wanted when I was in high school but never got. It's just as well, as I doubt I'd still be wearing it.

Besides seeing people from my old town, I reviewed five chapters of Heather's book to make some overall comments. I also wrote about 260 words for Key. I wrote over 300 words in Day before dinner, so that's not too bad overall.

Some of you may wonder what Eugene does at the bookstore while I write. He researches his various hobbies, such as photography, computers, and cooking. Lately he's started something different but something he's been meaning to do for a while: write up the family history. Tonight he browsed through several books on genealogy. His family is so big I joke we're all related to him. It's going to take him a while to collect information, and some irreplaceable records in the Philippines were destroyed during WWII. But I think the final result will be worth it.

No comments:

Site Meter