Wednesday, February 01, 2023

IWSG: Covering Covers

 

Is it just me, or did January seem to pass by pretty quickly? It hardly seems time for another Insecure Writer's Support Group post. Learn more about the IWSG on their website and Facebook page

Our hosts this month are Jacqui Murray, Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Pat Garcia, and Gwen Gardner

Our question this month is about covers: If you are an indie author, do you make your own covers or purchase them? If you publish trad, how much input do you have about what goes on your cover?

I'm technically a hybrid author, since I have a few stories published in anthologies. I don't have any input on those covers, so I'll focus on my indie covers. Most of those are purchased, since my photo editing skills are minimal. Here's one cover I created for a short story collection called Ordinary Wonders. About all I did to the photo was add the text.

For my fantasy Season Avatars series, I purchased covers from my friend Maria Zannini, also known as the Book Cover Diva. I think she did a great job with the entire series, but I'll just highlight two of them here: Fifth Season and Summon the Seasons

Since my Abigail Ritter series is a different genre (cozy mystery), I decided to go in a different direction and ordered the cover from 100 Covers. See below for Murder at Magic Lake. I've already pre-paid for the next two book covers in that series; I just need to finish the books!

I've been very happy with these cover artists, and they've done a great job of designing covers to meet my visions of the characters and setting.

How do you get your covers if you're indie? Do you have any favorite covers for your books? Feel free to share in the comments.

















6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Your Season series turned out really well. That last one is also good and on the fun side.

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

I like the cozy mystery cover :-0

Ronel visiting for IWSG day Strategies to Be a Successful Author

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The one for the Fifth Season is really pretty. The illustrator blended the model into the background well.

C.D. Gallant-King said...

Your Seasons covers came out amazingly well. No wonder you're happy with your experience!

Fundy Blue said...

I like your covers, Sandra. I appreciate being able to see your name as the author. I really enjoyed your book Lyon's Legacy, but I didn't choose it because of your cover. I chose it because of the IWSG book club. Happy creating in February!

Diane Burton said...

Great covers.

Site Meter