Wednesday, May 24, 2017

WisCon Schedule

If it's late May, that means it's almost time for WisCon, my favorite convention in my favorite city. I'll be arriving Friday during the day so I can help set up the Broad Universe table. (I'm not running it this year, but since I'm event coordinator for the organization, I keep the table supplies between conventions. It's easier to bring them to the convention myself instead of shipping them to the table manager.) Here's a list of the panels and readings I'll be participating in this year:




Saturday, 8:30-9:45--Rebel Scum: Finding Hope In Resistance: Feeling glum about the current political climate? Join us for an hour of discussion about two of the key themes of Star Wars: "hope" and "rebellion. What can we take to heart from our favorite characters from the films and related novels, particularly the Rogue One movie? We'll talk about outright rebellion, uncivil obedience, and how you too can participate in making the galaxy a better place for all sentients (clones included!). 

Saturday, 1:00-2:15--Broad Universe Rapid Fire Reading: I plan to read from Fifth Season.

Sunday, 2:30-3:45: Are you new to feminist SF and feeling overwhelmed? Do you wish there were a starter or beginners panel? A panel that talked about people you should know in this field and works that have changed this field. If you're trying to research all the names and little bites of important history that panelists talked about, bring your questions here!
Of course, I'll be attending other panels, browsing the Farmer's Market, catching up with Madison and WisCon friends, taking a turn at the Broad Universe table, and in general being very busy. Expect a full report next Wednesday.

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Have a great time. Since you're not manning the table, you should have a bit of time to wander and check out other sessions.

PT Dilloway said...

Does Rapid Fire reading mean you have to read it like John Moschita of those old FedEx commercials and Blurr on Transformers?

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That sounds like a fun and busy weekend. We almost attended RavenCon last month - DLP had an ad in the program guide and giveaways - but unfortunately that was the day we had to put our cat to sleep, so I was in no condition to go anywhere.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Thanks, Alex! Hopefully the table part goes well.

Pat, no, but I read naturally fast anyway.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat, Diane.

Site Meter