I'm sure many of you have heard by now about Borders declaring Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Even though I read most of my books on Kindle these days, I'm still saddened by the news. I don't get to Borders as often as I'd like, since I'm closer to a Barnes & Noble. B&N also features Thomas the Train tables, a major attraction for my trainiac son. However, I've always liked Border's selection of science fiction/fantasy titles; in my opinion, Borders stores typically carry a much broader selection of books in my favorite genre than B&N does. The last time I shopped at Borders, I bought several non-fiction books as research for a possible story idea.
Anyway, I was thinking about Borders as I drove home from work. I'm lucky that the two Borders closest to me will remain open, but I know many people will be losing their favorite stores. I thought that I should make a point of visiting a Borders this weekend and buying some books, but then I got a better idea. I already have a ton of books on my to-read pile; why not give the books to my blog followers? I'm going to make this a casual giveaway, not a contest where you have to fill out lots of forms and blog/tweet this post all over the place. Still, we need a few guidelines:
1. If you want to be entered in this contest, leave a comment on this post. It can be about your favorite book/author, your favorite bookstore, an introduction--whatever you'd like to share. Spam and offensive comments will be deleted and not considered for this giveaway. Only one entry/comment per person, please.
2. For every five people who comment between now and midnight CST Friday, February 18, I'll buy one paperback book to give away. (Any comments I make won't count.) It'll be SF or fantasy. I'm not sure yet which Borders I'll visit or what the inventory will be like, so I'm not promising particular titles. However, some authors I have in mind are Patricia McKillip, Julie E. Czerneda, Carrie Vaughn, Connie Willis, Robert J. Sawyer, and authors who are members of BroadUniverse or the Online Writing Workshop.
3. I'm currently at 165 followers. If I reach 200 followers by the deadline, I'll buy two more paperbacks to give away.
4. I'm limiting the total books I'll give away to ten. This includes the bonus books. Hey, I have a child in daycare.
5. Winners will be drawn randomly through a random number generator and announced Monday, February 21. You get what you get, and you don't get upset. ;)
That's all I can think of for now. If you have any questions, please let me know. Please feel free to spread the word about this giveaway. And if you think this is a good idea, why not host your own Borders book giveaway?
Good luck to all!