Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Back on the Blog Chain: Social Networking for the Not-So-Social

Although it's Tuesday, I need more than ten words today for my Blog Chain post. This round, Amanda asked us:

Are you a good social networker? What aspect of platform building do you focus on the most? Which aspects freak you out?

Kat posted before me, and Kate will answer this question tomorrow.

Like many other writers who've already posted in this chain, I consider myself an introvert. Specifically, my personality type is INTJ (or Introverted, Intuition, Thinking, Judgment, from the Myers-Briggs test), one of the rarest types. As an introvert, I find the Internet a great tool for reaching out to people; it lets me meet people I couldn't in real life while still letting me have some personal space. I wouldn't say I'm a good social networker because I need to invest more time in it, but I know what needs to be done.

The holy trinity of platform building seems to be blogging, Twitter, and Facebook. Of these, I'm best at blogging. I normally manage to post five times a week, occasionally on the weekends. I'd like to comment more on other people's blogs, but most days, it's tough enough just keeping up with my feeds. I do comment if I have something to say. I figure the Writer's Crusade I blogged about yesterday will force me to comment more. I used to use Twitter, but for me, it was overwhelming and had a poor signal-noise ratio. I'm on Facebook, though I spend much of my time there playing games. Still, I have a few published writers among my Facebook friends and helped start a Facebook group for BroadUniverse. When I do get something published, I plan to set up a fan page, but that would be premature now.

Social networking is broader than just the three things mentioned above, however. Participating in writers' groups or forums also allows you to interact with people, as does going to conventions. Some of these groups can have hundreds or thousands of people, so you can't interact meaningfully with everyone. However, you can form solid relationships with a few close people, which I find more personally satisfying. I wouldn't be surprised if other introverts felt the same way. And for all introverted writers who want to promote themselves but don't feel comfortable doing so, I recommend the Shrinking Violet Promotions blog. They're not just about promotion, but about being comfortable with your introversion. The more comfortable you are with yourself, the more comfortable others will be with you.

11 comments:

Misha Gerrick said...

I'm also not sold on the twitter thing yet either.

As for Facebook, I never use it for my writing life. I used to, but got almost zero response...

So, mainly blogging.

:-)

Unknown said...

Social networking is how I learned that you rock at playing Zuma Blitz! I wish I could keep up with blogging better--that's where I struggle with what to talk about. On Twitter, it seems so much easier to just splat something out there--the latest about my dog's injury, an update in my word count for the day, etc. But Facebook is generally not writing-related for me.

Amanda Bonilla said...

I have to say, you are a great blogger! Totally consistent and your topics are always engaging. And I agree with Sarah...you ROCK at Zuma Blitz1

Lisa Potts said...

I'm an INTJ too. I've seen the Shrinking Violet Promotions link before, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Twitter and blogging are my main focus. I used to be on Facebook a lot, but that has dropped off dramatically.

Heather Hellmann said...

I like blogging, but I have yet to get a Twitter account. If I ever get an agent I'll start Twitter, but until then, my life is too boring to tweet about. I have a Facebook page but I'm barely on it. Also, I'm nervous about merging my "everyday life" with my "writing life". If that makes any sense.

Angela Scott said...

I just got an iPhone so now I can Twitter. I have an acount set up and everything. The problem-I have nothing to say :(

I enjoy netwroking and meeting other writers, yet it's intimidating as well (there's a lot of smart people out there). I plan to learn from those smarties and can only hope that eventually, I will have something cool and useful to say :)

Nice to meet you crusader.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Misha, nothing wrong with mainly blogging!

Thanks, Sarah and Amanda!

Lisa, glad to meet another INTJ. Do we have a secret handshake? ;)

Heather, I get what you mean about mixing your two lives. I think you could always set up a fan page on Facebook to keep your personal and writing lives separate.

Nice to meet you too, Angela!

Kathryn Hupp-Harris said...

I, too, wish I had more time to blog and comment. I've read so many awesome things and gathered so much useful information. There just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to leave the proper feedback though.

Thanks for the awesome link!

Cathy said...

Hello fellow crusader, I'm an INFJ and spent most of my life being almost pathologically shy ... and then was hired as a children's librarian. I've been putting on 5 programs each week for 10 years, having to act silly at times for the kids, and am no longer shy. I work full time and wish I had more time to write, let alone to blog ... C'est la vie. Nice to meet you, and I'll stop by again--

Eric said...

Interesting response, Sandra. I did one of those Myers-Briggs test once at work, but I honestly don't know where I ended up. I find it interesting that you consider yourself such an introvert. On here of course, you're are so personable. :)

Cole Gibsen said...

I completely agree. You have to go with what you are comfortable with.

Site Meter