Friday, July 30, 2010

E-Reader Update

My post yesterday turned out to be quite timely, as Amazon announced they were coming out with a new version of the Kindle next month. I decided to jump on it and pre-order. I even pre-ordered my first book for it (Blameless, by Gail Carriger, due September 1.) I still have a slew of paper books to read, but I'm excited about the Kindle and can hardly wait.

How do you prefer to read, paper books or e-books? If you read e-books, do you have a reader, and if so, which one?

3 comments:

Eric said...

Sorry, but no e-reader for me. I just can't do that. I have to have the book in my hands, feel the pages as I turn them, etc. I just can't get any enjoyment out of reading e-books. I hope you enjoy your new toy though.

Catherine Stine said...

Hi Sandra
I have a kindle DX, which I like because it's easy to read the type, but it's heavy. I also like paper books. Paper, for books I want to cherish, kindle for research books and books that are more of a gamble.
I love the sound of that new slim kindle--only drag is that it doesn't do color. Maybe I'll hang onto my DX until the 3rd generation kindle that has black and white AND color.

I'm a writer too, and at first I was really worried about people still buying books. But I realized that it is SO easy to buy kindle versions, and almost addictive, that I think the ebook sales will be less $ per, but more $ in volume. So, I'm embracing all of the new technology.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Eric, I can understand your feelings; tangible paper books are special. I don't think I'll stop buying them completely, though I'll probably slow down.

Catherine, as a writer, I still want to be able to go into a bookstore and see my name on the spine of a paper book. But I think as e-readers continue to come down in price, I think more people will switch. Hopefully people will find e-books addictive. The medium may change, but there will always be a need for stories and writers to write them.

Site Meter