Wednesday, September 04, 2024

IWSG: English Rules Worth Breaking

After a busy summer, it's good to be back for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Learn more about the IWSG on their website

Our hosts this month are Beth Camp, Jean Davis, Yvonne Ventresca, and PJ Colando.

Our question this month has to do with school and English rules: Since it's back to school time, let's talk English class. What's a writing rule you learned in school that messed you up as a writer?

I didn't learn these rules in creative writing classes, but from writing books. The two rules I would put here would be to avoid adverbs and "said-bookisms" (other words to use besides "said"). I think these rules are writer rules, not necessarily something the average reader would consciously notice. I don't avoid adverbs completely; instead, I tend to use them to achieve the right nuance, or to push against the verb that's being modified.

I will admit that I'm more hesitant to use said-bookisms. To me, they can draw attention to themselves, especially if they're not physically possible or if several of them are used in a row. I prefer to use physical actions or descriptions to identify the speaker to break up a list of "saids," That said (pun intended), I'm experimenting a bit more with said-bookisms and adverbs lately. As long as they're used in moderation, they are useful writing tools. I think once you have a certain level of writing experience, you can tell when to use adverbs and said-bookisms and when not to.

What writing rules have you had to unlearn? Feel free to share them in the comments.

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Said is invisible to readers and I've learned not to use many other words in its place.

Beth Camp said...

Interesting point that writers may be more sensitive to 'rules' (or develop their own guidelines), rather than 'learning' them in class. I also like to mix up 'said' with physical actions or descriptions that help deepen the reader's understanding of the character. Enjoy this barely here fall season!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Said is certainly better than chortled!

Steven Arellano Rose Jr. said...

Adverbs are needed in certain instances but if there's a better more concrete way to show the action I try to use it. I think showing a character performing an action to reduce use of said-attributes is a great method!

Site Meter