Wednesday, February 07, 2024

IWSG: Writer Websites

Here we are at February and another post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Learn more about them at their website or Facebook page
Here's our question for the month: What turns you off when visiting an author's website/blog? Lack of information? A drone of negativity? Little mention of author's books? Constant mention of books?
My least favorite thing about visiting website isn't listed above or unique to author websites. It's a popup that appears as soon as I enter the website. I'm not going to sign up for a newsletter until I've had a chance to view the website and decide if I'm interested, so I'll always remove the popup. To be honest, I don't pay much attention to the newsletters I'm subscribed to. (I'm not good about sending out newsletters anyway; even when I do, they generate more unsubscribes than sales.) As a reader, I mainly want to know when the author's next book is coming out so I can preorder it if I'm interested.
Let's turn the question around: what motivates you to look at author websites in the first place? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.

 
 

 


3 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I don't like the immediate pop-ups either.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Several others have mentioned pop-ups. Anne R. Allen says they are a big writer no-no.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The popup window for their newsletter is annoying. I don't have a newsletter anymore, but the one for DLP is listed at the bottom of the page if people are interested.

Site Meter