Wednesday, January 03, 2024

IWSG: 2023 Books in Review


Welcome to 2024! I hope it's a good year for you. Since this is the first Wednesday of the year, it's also the first Insecure Writer's Support Group post for the year.  Learn more about the IWSG on their website and Facebook page.

Our hosts this month are Joylene Nowell Butler, Olga Godim, Diedre Knight, and Natalie Aguirre.

I'm skipping the proposed question this month (it has to do with following people through Bookbub, which isn't something I do) to bring you my 2023 reading year in review, courtesy of Goodreads. You can see my books here. My original goal was 175 books, which I temporarily raised to 200 books before lowering it to 170 books. I ended up with 171 books. Goodreads does list book collections as a single item, so the total number of books I read is actually higher. My genre breakdown is slightly off (I think I missed a couple of rows when I went through the list), since it only adds up to 161 (the missing 10 are probably more mysteries):

Fantasy: 27

Science Fiction: 8

Mystery (including fantasy mysteries): 87

General Fiction: 5

Non-Fiction: 34

Here are some of my favorite books I read this year:

The Last Days of the Dinosaurs

Kindred

A Mirror Mended

Justice for Animals

Outlive

That Self-Same Metal

For 2024, I'm lowering my goal to 150 books. The reason I'm doing that is because I would like to stretch myself and read a wider genre. I enjoy cozy mysteries and can find many of them offered for free or for a reasonable price, but I would like more incentive to read more non-fiction books and more books on my to-read lists. I belong to a local book club and a Good Omens book club on a Discord server, so hopefully they'll help me find books I wouldn't normally read.

If you track your reading, how many books do you read each year? Did you have a favorite book? Feel free to share your answers in the comments.


5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You've been working on mysteries, so no surprise that's what you read the most. I don't read enough and confess a lot of what I read last year were graphic novels.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I wish I had time to read more although I did get through 50 cookbooks last year.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I read a lot but I don't track my numbers. But I know I don't read 150 or 200 books in a year. That's awesome.

Olga Godim said...

I checked my GoodReads stats: 133 books this year, although it doesn't count the re-reads, which I do pretty often. Your 171 books is a huge number. You must be a fast reader.

Steven Arellano Rose Jr. said...

I never track the number of books that I read; I lose count too easily not because I read a huge number of books a year (because I don't) but mostly because I have a bad memory and I dont use apps like Goodreads as much as I used too. You sound like you have a good strategy in setting your reading goals.

Site Meter