Wednesday, June 07, 2023

June IWSG: Alternatives to Writing

Welcome back to the Insecure Writers' Support Group! If you're not familiar with them, you can learn more about them on their website or Facebook page.

Our hosts this month are Patricia Josephine, Diedre Knight, Olga Godim, J. Lenni Dorner, and Cathrina Constantine.

Here's our question for June: If you ever did stop writing, what would you replace it with?

As a working parent, I already have plenty of tasks to fill my time; it's more like trying to carve out half an hour or an hour at the end of the day for writing. There's also plenty of other entertainment options (reading, electronic and board games, and videos) to do if I'm bored. But would they satisfy my creative urges? Perhaps the best alternative to writing would be something like crochet (which I've been sadly lacking the time for lately). Crochet gives me plenty of opportunities to make things, though it's mostly following other people's patterns instead of designing something from scratch. Perhaps the only substitute for one creative endeavor is another. However, as long as I can still nurture my creative spark, the only reason I would permanently stop writing is if I'm physically or mentally unable to continue. In that case, the only replacement for writing is eternal silence.

 What would make you stop writing, and what would you replace it with? Feel free to share your thoughts or blog links in the comments.

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm not even a parent but I have a ton of things that fill my time, some of which are creative.

emaginette said...

Sandra, I can't think of a thing. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Charlotte (MotherOwl) said...

I wrote more or less the same thing on my own blog ;) I just cannot imagine not writing.

diedre Knight said...

Replacing one creative outlet with another is the best thing we can do for ourselves. "Eternal silence" is thought-provoking. Keep thinking the good thoughts ;-)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I can barely darn socks. LOL

But I have a lot of creative things I enjoy doing.

Site Meter