Wednesday, December 02, 2020

IWSG: Writing Seasons

 Welcome to December, a.k.a. the Boss Level of 2020. I hope you're staying safe this season. Here's to the last Insecure Writer's Support Group post of 2020! You can learn more about the IWSG on their website, Facebook group, or Twitter feed.


Our hosts this month are Pat Garcia, Sylvia Ney, Liesbet at Roaming About, Cathrina Constantine, and Natalie Aguirre.

Here's our question for December: Are there months or times of the year that you are more productive with your writing than other months, and why?

 I'm not consistent with keeping a writing journal, but there are definitely times of the year when there are a lot of other activities that cut into my writing time. The period between Thanksgiving and Christmas is a good example. There's buying and wrapping presents, baking (my husband and I will have six types of cookies, a fudge, and truffles done by the end of Sunday, when I'm writing this post, and I may have more done before this post goes live), decorating, card designing, social obligations, and cooking for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Once I'm past Christmas, though, I usually have some time off before New Year's Day. I tend to use that time to update my website and eBook back matter in addition to writing. In general, fall and winter feel more like prime writing time to me. When the weather is nice, it's tempting to be outside. 

What's your best writing season? Feel free to share in the comments.

 

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The cooler months. When it's warm, I have a lot of yard work. Plus I think better when it's cold.
That is a lot of baking.

Chrys Fey said...

Before New Year's Day is a great time to update your website and eBook back matter. That's a nice thing to do in preparation for the new year. :)

Sylvia Ney said...

Similar here. Holidays, evenings, and any other time I kind find quiet and alone time - which isn't often. I hope you are able to enjoy the holidays, and some writing time. Merry Christmas!

Diane Burton said...

You sound like my sister with all that baking. :) Enjoy the holidays and your writing time.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I have a ton of duties for DLP in December, but fortunately I shut down elsewhere and give myself some time.

Although I have been known to bake 8 batches of banana bread in one day.

James Pailly said...

Oh gosh, you're right. December is 2020's boss level.

Personally, I think I'm at my writerly best when it's warm outside. I love writing with a pleasant breeze coming in through the window.

Site Meter