Wednesday, April 01, 2020

IWSG: How Are You Doing?

No fooling, it's time for another Insecure Writer's Support Group post. For more information about the IWSG, check out their website, Facebook page, or Twitter feed.

Our hosts for April are Diane Burton, J.H. Moncrieff, Anna at elements of emaginette, Karen at Reprobate Typewriter, Erika Beebe, and Lisa Buie-Collard.

The IWSG’s focus is on our writers. Each month, from all over the globe, we are a united group sharing our insecurities, our troubles, and our pain. So, in this time when our world is in crisis with the Covid-19 pandemic, our optional question this month is: How are things in your world?


I've already spent the last two weeks talking about how the pandemic has affected me and my family. We're fortunate so far in that we're still healthy and working. Things can always change, especially since we live in the Chicago suburbs, and there are a lot of cases in our area. At the beginning of March, we went to McCormick Place for C2E2; now, the convention center is going to become a makeshift hospital. It'll probably take between twelve and eighteen months before things settle down. All we can do in the meantime is take proper precautions and keep our spirits up. I'm still pretty busy with work and extra cleaning around the house, but I make time to read, write, crochet, watch TV or documentaries, socialize online with friends, and take an online class. (And yes, play games on my smartphone.)

How are you doing? What are your coping strategies? Feel free to share them in the comments.

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

It's that sad it's now a hospital? I think the next two weeks are going to be really hard on people.

Maria Zannini said...

We've been isolating for over two weeks, but hubby has decided to make one last supply run. I'm insisting he wear a mask this time. He'll also strip in the garage and shower immediately when he gets home. We won't go out again for another month or longer if possible.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I'm not sure what you mean, Alex, but I included the example of McCormick Place becoming a hospital as an example of how quickly things can change. It will be a little strange to think about that the next time we attend C2E2, but I remain optimistic that we will return to McCormick Place when things get better.

Sounds like good precautions, Maria! We also change clothes after going out.

emaginette said...

About the same, but in the world of Grand Forks, BC. No virus near us yet though. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I work from home anyway, so I'm still at work on upcoming releases from DLP. Although one might be pushed to the fall so the author can get out and promote.

Steven Arellano Rose Jr. said...

I've been staying in as much as possible. Other than work at my day job once a week and essential trips in town which is an average of once a week, I've been staying in doors. I only go out for a breath of fresh air for an average of five minutes. I'm trying to get more writing done than I had before we had to shut ourselves in. Hang in there and stay healthy.

Diane Burton said...

Glad you're staying safe. We've been hunkered down since March 12th. Hubs & I get along pretty well, so togetherness isn't a problem. We're retired so no loss of income. My heart goes out to those who've lost jobs, have no babysitters when they have essential jobs. The health workers and first responders are our heroes. Take care o yourself.

Site Meter