Wednesday, February 26, 2020

A Writer by Any Other Name?

Although fantasy and science fiction are my favorite genres, I also like to read mysteries, especially cozy mysteries. It's probably not surprising that I've come up with an idea for a cozy mystery series. I'm trying to do more worldbuilding and plotting with this project, but even before I write the first word, I also have to consider the marketing aspect. Should I publish these stories under my own name or a pen name? Traditional thinking has always been that you need different pen names for different genres so readers can distinguish them. However, this doesn't seem to be too much of a concern for indie writers. Honestly, I have enough trouble doing social media and marketing for one name; doubling it would make it even harder. Book covers and blurbs do a better job of signaling genre than names, and I would put different books on different pages of my website.

Do you use a pen name, or have you thought about it? Let me know in the comments.


5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A pen name seems like a lot of trouble. Why hide? Maybe fans of your science fiction and fantasy also like cozy mysteries?

DRC said...

Oh new project!!! Don't you just love the exciting feeling that comes with it? If I like an author, I'll still read something of theirs that's in a different genre. In fact, I'll more likely pick that book up than one from an unknown author.

And I don't use a pen name as such, but I do publish in my maiden name.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I write NA and non-fiction and now I'm working on paranormal romance. I am definitely using my own name for everything.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Alex, there are some cozy mysteries with magic, so you never know.

DRC, that's good to know!

Diane, I think it's a lot easier to keep everything under one name.

Joanna Weston said...

I like the way Seanan McGuire handles her alias of Mira Grant. Mira has her own static webpage, but her twitter account exists solely to let you know that Seanan McGuire is the real human behind her Mira Grant books, and links you back to her actual twitter. It might be a way to have a pen name for your cozy mystery, but without the hassle of maintaining an entirely separate social media presence. I can't say if it's worth it or not, though. Either way, good luck with the new genre!

Site Meter