Wednesday, May 01, 2019

IWSG: The Power of Language

Happy May Day! I hope the weather by you is more spring-like than we've had recently.

I'm itching to discuss Avengers: Endgame, but since it's the first Wednesday of the month, today is a day for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. You can learn more about them on their website, Facebook group, or Twitter. Our hosts this month are Lee Lowery, Juneta Key, Yvonne Ventresca, and T. Powell Coltrin.

Our question for May is "What was an early experience where you learned language had power?"

I've always been a reader, so it's hard to pinpoint when or if I had a language epiphany. Instead, I'll share a couple of stories about events I mention in my bio.

I started to read when I was three years old (and as I say, I only stop when I absolutely have to). I probably learned how from watching shows like Sesame Street. My mom says she found out when she took me to a butcher shop. I read the brand name on the refrigerator display, and the person behind it asked my mom, "Is that your daughter?" When she said yes, the other person said, "Did you know she can read?"

Although my parents taught my brother German as his first language, they only taught me English. I studied Spanish from fourth to sixth grade, but when we moved and I entered a new school, I switched to German. Spanish and French were much more popular, however. When my middle school held a language Folk Fair, French and Spanish got all the attention with songs and dance performances by the students. In an attempt to give German some equal time, I wrote a little play/dialogue I called "A Little Demonstration of German." It had such immortal lines as "Ich muss mein Hund fuettern," which means (if I spelled everything correctly) "I must feed my dog." We didn't get to perform it, but I received a special certificate for German at the end of the school year. It might still be in our basement, but I'm not going to search for it.

Do you have any stories about language? If so, feel free to share in the comments.

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No love for the German language.
I was seven or eight when Sesame Street first came out and still remember watching it.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

The sad part about the German story is that it took place in Wisconsin, Alex.

emaginette said...

Wow! I've heard of people learning to read on their own. Looks like language is your thing. ;-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's a shame they wouldn't let you perform it.

According to my mother, I started talking and reading before I was 2. My father was away for a while and my mother read to me for hours each day, so I guess I took to it quickly.

Maria Zannini said...

English was not my first language, which made me ache to learn it even faster to keep up with my classmates.

The first time I realized the power of words was when I was first coming up in the world and people started asking me for advice on their business letters and training material. I didn't realize my talent was anything special, but I was happy to help.

re: Avengers Endgame
I'm still reeling with emotion. Can't wait to get it on dvd.

Site Meter