Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Feedback on Story Title and Blurb

As if I don't have enough writing projects (I've been splitting my writing time between two very different novels), I've returned to the Season Avatars world long enough to write a short story set about fifteen years after Summon the Seasons. This will be the first story in what I'm calling the Selathen Avatars series, and it features Rob, Jenna's son. Rob will be one of the protagonists of the first novel in the Selathen Avatars series, and this story will set up the situation that we'll find him in. I'm hoping to publish the story at the end of September to tie in with my appearance at the Gail Borden Comic Con. The story's already been through a rewrite, but I'm still trying to decide on a title. I posted three on Facebook, and of those, "Seeds in Strange Places" was the favorite. It doesn't capture an important element of the story, though. Some possible alternatives are listed below:

"Seeds and Visions"
"The Season of Visions"
"The Seeds of Vision."

Any favorites? 

I'd also appreciate your thoughts on the blurb:

As the son of Challen’s Summer Avatar, Rob has learned everything that can be done with plants without magic. But he is also the son of the Fip Empire’s War Avatar, expected to marry a Fip princess despite his lack of interest in women. The Fip’s God of War also wants to use Rob’s strange vision for His own purposes. Can Rob sort through the conflicting demands on him to create his own path?

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No interest in women? That dude needs to get away from his work more often.
The Seeds of Vision sounds the most unique.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Rob is gay, Alex. Maybe I should be more direct about that. Thanks for your vote on the title!

PT Dilloway said...

What's Rob's strange vision? Is it only one or does he have multiple? I agree no interest in women is too vague; you might want to say he's interested in his best friend or whoever to give an idea that he's gay without just saying it.

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Thanks, Pat!

Maria Zannini said...

I think I like The Seasons of Visions best. Has that metaphysical element to it.

As for the blurb I think it needs more punch. Rob sounds too passive, so I'd like to see the catalyst that defines him as a protagonist.

PS I don't think you need to change 'his lack of interest in women'. I got that right away. But if he does have a love interest, then Pat's suggestion would make more sense.

Site Meter