Sunday, May 22, 2011

WisCon Prep

It's been a very busy weekend for me. Saturday we drove up to Wisconsin for a friend's wedding, and on Sunday we held Alex's birthday party. Now that that's over, I can focus on this coming weekend, the wonderful weekend of WisCon.

I've lost track of how many times I've been to WisCon. These days, since I'm attending with my family, preparing for WisCon is more complicated than it used to be. Here are some things I do to prepare for the writing aspect of the con:

Check out the schedule and start trying to decide which panels to attend
Make sure I have business cards in my purse
Review the list of attending authors and see if I have any books I'd like to get autographed
Finish reading books by some of the authors. I read the two that I could get on the Kindle, but the paper book was mislaid for a few days. It's time to get back to it.
Find out who else I know is going so we can make arrangements to meet.


Here are some other things I need to do to prepare:

Check if Alex is registered for the child care program. Last year he wasn't, although I'm sure I requested child care when I bought my own membership.
See if we can get a refrigerator in our room, so we can buy more things at the Farmer's Market and store leftovers/food for Alex in our room.
Contact our Madison friends so we can get together.

Closer to our trip, I'll take care of some other last-minute details.

Is anyone else planning on attending WisCon or other conventions this year? Do you go by yourself or with your family? What is your preparation like?

1 comment:

Regina said...

I have only been to one so far this year and did not take my family. Instead I went by myself. However, I probably would take my husband on an out of state trip as long as he wasn't too bored waiting around for me. But taking the kiddos -- not so much. It is only because I don't think that they would enjoy themselves.

Site Meter